Swordfishtrombones and Rain Dogs by Tom Waits. You’re welcome.

April 13th, 2014

Til some months ago I only listened to Hip Hop but I turned to rock so here’s what I heard to get into it.

I started with AC/DC, downloaded the “Greatest Hits” compilation for this one.

Then I really got into Linkin Park. get their discography and start from Meteora, then Hybrid Theory. DO NOT CHANGE ALBUM UNTIL YOU LEARN THE SONGS FROM EACH ALBUM (not the rap part though. That takes time). They grow into you that way.

Then I suggest trying Muse. Start from “Origin of Symmetry”. Matthew Bellamy is one of the greatest vocalists ever.

After that try 30 Seconds to Mars, Radiohead, Nirvana, Rob Zombie, Arctic Monkey and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. These are whose albums I downloaded and heard.

I have some singles from Guns ‘n’ Roses, The White Stripes, The Doors, Pantera, The Eagles, Aerosmith, Disturbed, The Fray, Coldplay etc.

I’m pretty new myself but I really love rock and I really regret listening solely to Hip Hop from the age of 9 through 18 without listening to rock.

April 13th, 2014

OH SHIT FORGOT

METALLICA

April 13th, 2014

Who is the Kanye West of Rock?

Kanye West TBH

April 13th, 2014

More serious answer!

It’s all about British rock from the 1960s and 1970s

The Beatles' late-career album run:

• Revolver (1966)
  • Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
  • The Beatles (The White Album) (1968)
  • Abbey Road (1969)

A lot of The Rolling Stones' stuff; they were more of a “singles band” than an “album band” IMO, so get the hits collection

• Hot Rocks 1964-1971 (1971)

The Who were one of the bands that changed the game forever: invented arena rock, rock operas, a lot of stuff

• Tommy (1969)
  • Live At Leeds (1970)
  • Who’s Next (1971)
  • Quadrophenia (1973)

And then Led Zeppelin… pretty much the gods of hard rock

• Led Zeppelin I
  • Led Zeppelin II
  • Led Zeppelin III
  • Untitled (Led Zeppelin IV)

That’s 13 albums, not too overwhelming!

IMO I would not go for any of the other stuff people are recommending in this thread… Arctic Monkeys… Phantogram… St. Vincent… this stuff has not achieved classic status. Not a good starting point IMO.

April 13th, 2014

No Rubber Soul? No Exile On Main Street? Hot Rocks ahead of Forty Licks? No The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society? But basically ‘greed.

April 13th, 2014

@Vesuvius

Help get me started in Rock.

The Kinks are amazing… but I had to draw the line somewhere

April 13th, 2014

It’s all about British rock from the 1960s and 1970s
IMO I would not go for any of the other stuff people are recommending in this thread… Arctic Monkeys… Phantogram… St. Vincent… this stuff has not achieved classic status. Not a good starting point IMO.

Thanks Rolling Stone

April 13th, 2014

Thanks Rolling Stone

Better RS than Pitchfork! :)

Seriously though ewwwww RS isn’t even about the music anymore. They’ll put anyone with nice legs and big blue eyes on the cover

Maxim wannabes and boooooooring political articles

April 13th, 2014

And they said Paul McCartney made the 4th best album last year o.0

April 13th, 2014

More Alternative pop/rock bands:
Cant really define:
THe Fray
All Time Low
The All American Rejects
Matchbox Twenty
CAroline Liar
Coldplay
Fall Out Boy
Hot Chelle Rae
Greenday
Imagine Dragons
Snow Patrol
Neon Trees
Linkin Park
Secondhand Serenade
Plain White Tees
Simple Plan
The Goo Goo Dolls
The Perishers
The Verve
The Script
Tears For Fears
Parachute

April 15th, 2014

These are a few of my favourites, being a person who primarily listened to mainstream rap since an early age.

The Beatles##

• Abbey Road – Personal favourite Beatles album, musically diverse, very rich production for the time (1969) and a very consistent project.
  • Sgt Peppers – arguably their most famous / recognised record
  • Revolver – Also very good record, in my opinion what changed The Beatles from I Want to Hold Your Hand-type songs to more courageous, innovative and diverse songs. Its album description here in RG is pretty good:

Revolver signaled that in popular music, anything – any theme, any musical idea – could now be realized. And, in the case of the Beatles, would be.

Radiohead

• Kid A – considered a commercial suicide, this is a very courageous release from Radiohead, changing their sound from more alt. british rock of the 90s to something more influenced by electronic music.
  • Ok Computer – showing initial signs of a bigger interest in electronic music integration to their music (my favourite Radiohead album)

Ramones

• Self-titled – arguably the most important punk band to ever come out of the US, this 20 minute long album is fun and a good introduction to punk in case you want to delve into the genre.

Velvet Underground

• Velvet Underground & Nico – Homage songs to heroin, stories about S&M and tales about waiting for your drug dealer? In an album released in 1967? Absolutely brilliant. A pretty solid beginning to Lou Reed, arguably one of the most influential artists to rap music as a whole given his “street” lyricism.
April 16th, 2014

Velvet Underground & Nico

That’s actually a great recommendation. Albeit it from a white perspective, Reed was writing in exactly the climate and experiences that would later birth hip-hop: the darkest side of NYC. But damn if it isn’t pretty.

April 17th, 2014

This thread is a big help.

April 17th, 2014

Radiohead is the Kanye of rock tbr

April 17th, 2014